Once upon a time, there was a sad, sad little coffee table with a broken knob sitting in the back of a going-out-of-business furniture warehouse on the side of the highway. It was all alone, collecting dust with a $100 price tag (what?). And it was orange and ugly, but wait… solid wood… nice lines. I like the plank style of the top. And the turned legs. Hm. “Would you take $20 for it?” (It didn’t hurt that I was also buying $600 worth of couches.)
Truth be told, I didn’t know what to do with it. But I had heard about this new “glazing” technique that everybloggy’s talking about, so I thought I’d give that a try…
(Forgive me for not documenting the journey, but it wouldn’t have helped much!)
I roughed it up with some sandpaper, and painted it with some white interior paint I already had. The glazing technique I got from here. I decided I wanted BLACK, but after mixing in the glaze, it was grey. Ok, that’s fine.
I tried to follow her instructions, but when I wiped the “excess” off… all of it came off. So I ended up just leaving it on there, just the way the brush laid it. The glaze was pretty easy to “massage” until I got it the way I wanted. And if I didn’t like it, I just wiped it off and started fresh. It was pretty easy (and VERY forgiving!).
When it dried, I finished with some wipe-on poly and added some lil black knobs, and viola! $20 coffee table, meet the inside of my house.
I like the way the glaze accentuates the crevices. (Crevices is fun to say, I’m going to use it more.)
My children’s brains: enter house, drop wet backpack in entryway, proceed to fridge, what even is a homework
**Now updated with a helpful-ish supply list and step-by-step… uh… steps**
I was perusing Pinterest for the meaning of life, aka storage and organization ideas, and/or survival tips for raising three boys. No luck there, but I did find this.
Once my wheels were turning (my husband LOVES it when that happens*), I realized that the corner between my kitchen and family room was four feet of empty, wasted space.
*he does not love it
I sketched out a design with graph paper and *mumbles under breath* PowerPoint, taking into account my number of offspring and that stupid outlet. (Whoever thought those bin shelves would be [a] useful or [b] attractive was incorrect.) (That’s me, I was incorrect.)
Here are the supplies I needed:
- About 2 days, coffee, snacks and a helpful and patient life partner (optional, but highly recommended)
- 1×6″ wood planks (mine used five pieces cut to 48″ long)
- 1×3″ wood pieces (about 60″ worth was used for the 4 vertical dividers and another 60″ across the the top as a shelf)
- Hooks with accompanying screws (I used 3 hooks)
- Screwdriver and screws (they should be long enough to get through your wood, 1/2″ of drywall and into a stud)
- Drill and countersink bit for pilot holes
- Wood putty, putty knife, sandpaper
- Paint and various accompanying painty stuffs
- Basic tools like a level, measuring tape, stud finder, etc.
- (And he used a li’l oscillating saw to cut the base molding and quarter round from the wall)